Working for a Public Benefit
As a public benefit corporation (PBC), GreenChoice has a legal obligation to prioritize our public benefit to society and the environment alongside financial returns. Our public benefit as defined in our charter is, “to empower people to create a healthy, just and sustainable world.” We will do this by…
- Empowering consumers to make informed choices:
- By providing users with critical and honest information on the health implications, environmental sustainability, and social responsibility of industries, companies, products and services.
- By giving users feedback on the impact of their choices.
- By connecting users in ways that facilitate and inspire collective action.
- Conducting operations with integrity and transparency:
- By publicly disclosing information on our scoring methodology and clearly defining and avoiding potential conflicts of interest that could jeopardize the integrity of our GreenScores™.
- Fostering a work environment of integrity, courage, curiosity, and collaboration:
- By creating a workplace in which we play big, praise diversity, seek truth, and recognize that only together we will change the world.
Conflict of Interest Policy
We at GreenChoice™ are keenly aware that food and beverage companies may have a vested interest in influencing our company analyses and product scoring process, in order to earn higher GreenScores™. Consequently, we will do everything in our power to avoid perceived or real conflicts of interests. For this reason, GreenChoice™ we will review GreenChoice™ quarterly for any potential conflicts of interests based on the following guidelines.
There exists a perceived or real conflict of interest for GreenChoice™ if:
- A food or beverage company pays GreenChoice™ to score its products.
- A food or beverage company pays GreenChoice™ to advertise or promote its brand and/or products.
- A food or beverage company pays GreenChoice™ to use the GreenScore™ for advertising, marketing, or promotion.
Science Advisory Board
We are in the process of forming a Science Advisory Board (SAB) to guide the GreenScore™ system and monitor our integrity. Effectively, we are assembling a roundtable of “experts” assigned with advising the GreenScore™ process. The board will represent the following disciplines:
- Food Science and Nutrition
- Sustainable Agriculture and Farming
- Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Analytics
In addition to invaluable insight and the most up-to-date knowledge, SAB members will bring their own resources and connections which can be used to leverage supply-chain transparency, improve access to quality data, and build strategic partnerships.
If you are interested in joining our SAB or would like to nominate someone – please let us know here!