GreenChoice is a carbon-nuetral online marketplace that makes it easy to buy the best products for you and the planet.
Our founder, Galen Karlan-Mason, formed GreenChoice as a public benefit company because he wanted to ensure GreenChoice would always operate in the best interest of all life and Mother Earth.
As a public benefit company, we have a legal obligation to prioritize our public benefit to society and the environment alongside financial returns. Our purpose is defined as, “empowering people to create a more just and sustainable world.”
We are working to achieve this by:
1. Empowering consumers to make informed choices:
1.a. By providing users with critical and honest information on the health implications, environmental sustainability, and social responsibility of industries, companies, products and services.
1.b. By giving users feedback on the impact of their choices.
1.c. By connecting users in ways that facilitate and inspire collective action.
2. Conducting operations with integrity and transparency:
2.a. By publicly disclosing information on our scoring methodology and clearly defining and avoiding potential conflicts of interest that could jeopardize the integrity of our GreenScores.
3. Fostering a work environment of integrity, courage, curiosity, and collaboration:
3.a. By creating a workplace in which we play big, praise diversity, seek truth, and recognize that only together we will change the world.
Good question. The store you order from on GreenChoice pays us 1-4% of your order total.
There is no sponsored content or advertising on GreenChoice.
This is a very important question – the following are reasons why we feel you can trust us. If you’re not convinced or have concerns, please message us, we’re happy to answer your questions.
1. We’re not making things up! We rely on data from existing authorities in personal and public health, environmental science, human rights, sustainable agriculture, and beyond. For more info on our data sources check out our GS System page.
2. We will always be honest with you about how we evaluate companies and their products, and we we will always be honest with you about how we make money and who pays us.
3. Our Founder and CEO Galen Karlan-Mason grew up in rural Vermont, raised by two former hippies in the woods. His parents built their house with ~14 friends and installed solar panels on their roof to heat their water, and just 2 years ago they installed additional panels to go 100% renewable. His family raises chickens for eggs and made a point to give their 7 hens more space than the hens have ever dared to explore. His dad drives an electric car and an electric motorcycle. When growing up everything was recycled and lights were never left on after leaving a room. Galen’s parents place value on experiences, nature, personal relationships, kindness, education, and our responsibility to give back. Galen is the product of these values, and Galen started GreenChoice because he was frustraited by how hard it was to make food choices that supported his allergies, health goals, and values. Galen and the rest of the GreenChoice team feel strongly that “it should be easier” to make informed food choices, and it is our goal to empower consumers with the knowledge needed to eat food that is healthy for them and the planet. Galen hopes GreenChoice will leverage our collective buying power to push companies to act in our best interest and to produce products that nurture – rather than harm – us and the planet.
If you look in the top left corner of our main menu, you’ll see either a store logo or the text “Browse-only” just to the right of the GreenChoice logo.
Click the store logo or “Browse-only” text and a dropdown will appear with each of the store’s that are shoppable on GreenChoice. Select the store where you’d like to shop. When you change your store, you will be redirected to that store’s storefront.
Anytime you want to change the store you’re hsopping at, simply go to this dropdown and select eh store.
You can search our database of over 340,000 food & beverage products to compare their GreenScore® ratings, learn about their impact on your health and the environment, and discover healthy, climate-friendly alternatives.
To search the entire GreenChoice database, select “Browse-only” mode from the store selector dropdown in the top left corner of our main menu.